What is it about chilly fall mornings that makes me want to make caramel. Fall and caramel go together like peas and carrots. Actually, peas and carrots together are gross. Fall and carmel go together like peanut butter and chocolate?
Sometimes making caramel seems scary, but this caramel is as easy as making the popcorn on the stove. You just boil up some sugar for a couple minutes, pour it over the popcorn and let the oven do all the heavy lifting.
I promise, homemade caramel corn is so much more amazing than anything you can buy in the store.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo syrup
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups unpopped popcorn
- Pop your popcorn and place into large greased pan (or 2 9x13 cake pans if you don't have a huge roaster pan)
- In a large saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter, and Karo syrup. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the popcorn (if using 2 pans, divide between the two pans)
- Toss to coat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes
- While baking, stir the caramel very 5 minutes to ensure it does not burn
- Turn out of the pan and break apart. Enjoy!