To go along with Foster's fishing cupcakes, I got to make a fish cake too. This was the first cake I have ever carved. It was white cake with this buttercream. I used this cake from Martha Stewart as inspiration and her template to carve the body, fins, and eyes.
I changed a few things from Martha's original tutorial:
- I removed the top an bottom fin at the request of Foster's mom
- I used mini chocolate chips instead of chocolate covered sunflower seeds for the pupils (where can you even find chocolate covered sunflower seeds anyway?)
- I used a #12 round tip to pipe the scales instead of the ribbon tip that Martha suggests (I didn't have it)
- I didn't carve the lips out of the cake, I found it easer to carve the cake in a smooth arch and just use the gummy life saver as the lips.
- I split and filled the cake with frosting. This was dumb, it made the cake harder to move around and frost. If I were to make it again, I would leave the cake 1 layer. The top of the cake is frosted with quite enough frosting, a filling is not necessary.